Looks interesting. I think it would be cool to have the units able to move around the board freely, instead of just forwards like pawns.
This actually reminds me of a game I have called "Hnefatafl" which was played by the Vikings. Basically, there are two uneven armies, one of which has a king piece. The king must get to one of the corners of the board. All pieces move like rooks in chess, and are taken by being "sandwhiched" between two others.
[spoiler=Board Diagram:]
![[Image: gameboard.gif]](http://www.mnh.si.edu/vikings/learning/gameboard.gif)
[/spoiler]
Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games
Anyways, it's got some interesting gameplay elements so I thought it could be helpful.
EDIT: Got ninja'd by Sevenstitch on the directions of movement!
This actually reminds me of a game I have called "Hnefatafl" which was played by the Vikings. Basically, there are two uneven armies, one of which has a king piece. The king must get to one of the corners of the board. All pieces move like rooks in chess, and are taken by being "sandwhiched" between two others.
[spoiler=Board Diagram:]
![[Image: gameboard.gif]](http://www.mnh.si.edu/vikings/learning/gameboard.gif)
[/spoiler]
Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games
Anyways, it's got some interesting gameplay elements so I thought it could be helpful.
EDIT: Got ninja'd by Sevenstitch on the directions of movement!

