Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to The Spriters Resource.

Free Blender shader turns 3D models into pixel art (holy crap)
#1
Source

As a forum with many talented spriters, I'm surprised I haven't seen this been discussed here yet (although if it has I certainly missed it). It's what it says on the tin: you can take 3D models and turn 'em into pixel art. Granted, the actual process isn't that simple, but relatively speaking, it seems to be somewhat straightforward. Examples:
[spoiler]
[Image: 20141111_anim.gif]
[Image: andre_gold.gif]
[/spoiler]

Obviously, there's a bit of roughness if left as-is, but I'm honestly surprised with how great looking the results still are as-is. The "rough" shading kind of reminds me of how character graphics appear in Art of Fighting 3, particularly the up-close shots after a fight.

So, what do the fine folks here think? Does this ruin the "true" craft of spriting, or could this become a useful tool for projects? Myself, I think this could potentially become real popular in the MUGEN scene to create fighters (Smash characters, anyone? Cute).

Also, I'm sorry if this should've gone in a different forum; I figured I wouldn't post this in Custom Sprites/Pixel Art since I'm not actually posting any art of mine, but couldn't think of anywhere else to post it but here.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Free Blender shader turns 3D models into pixel art (holy crap) - by BullockDS - 03-03-2015, 05:17 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)