Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to The Spriters Resource.

Gaming mods?
#1
If you people have done mods to your consoles, peripherals, games (i.e. hacks), et al and/or had somebody do mods for you, talk about 'em here!
  • RGB-modded Nintendo 64: the N64 can only natively output composite video and S-video. S-vid's not a bad signal, but I don't have an S-vid input on my TV. I could feasibly get a converter for S-vid, but I feel like I'm getting more of my money's worth getting a SCART>HDMI converter since RGB-SCART is a better signal and have other consoles with SCART cables. That said, my N64 games look phenomenal now, especially 2D games. I now prefer how games look through an actual N64 over emulation (PC or Virtual Console). Also I put the modded console into an Ice Blue shell since normally the RGB-moddable N64s are only black-shelled consoles.
  • RGB-modded SNES Mini: the regular SNES could natively output S-vid and RGB, but not the Mini. The advantage here, however, is that the RGB video from a SNES Mini/Jr is far superior to any model revision of the original SNES/Super Famicom. Yoshi's Island is fucking gorgeous from a modded SNES Mini. Big Grin
  • VGA Cable for Gamecube: it seems like a waste of a rare GCN D-Terminal cable, especially for a relatively small boost in image quality from component video, but hell: I happened upon a broken D-Terminal cable for pretty damn cheap and I already had a spare working D-Terminal cable, so I figured I'd get the most outta the broken cable... yes, I'm a bit of a stickler for image quality. Pick up on that yet? Wink
  • LodgeNet N64 Controller: a bit of a misleading name. Essentially, it's a regular N64 controller but with the OEM stick replaced with the badass GCN-style sticks from the LodgeNet hotel controllers. It works beautifully, it's sturdier than the OEM N64 stick, and best of all it's a far cheaper prospect than a used Hori Mini Pad at the moment. I could've stuck with the LodgeNet shell but there's no opening for a Rumble Pak/Memory Card... plus my black/red controller shell combo looks badassed.
(For anybody else interested in pursuing optimal video options for their older games, check out this site to get started.)
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Gaming mods? - by BullockDS - 09-19-2014, 04:45 PM
RE: Gaming mods? - by psychospacecow - 09-21-2014, 08:05 PM
RE: Gaming mods? - by E-Man - 09-21-2014, 08:35 PM
RE: Gaming mods? - by Helmo - 09-21-2014, 10:03 PM
RE: Gaming mods? - by BullockDS - 09-22-2014, 07:20 AM
RE: Gaming mods? - by Kosheh - 09-22-2014, 09:42 AM
RE: Gaming mods? - by BullockDS - 09-22-2014, 10:00 AM
RE: Gaming mods? - by Helmo - 09-22-2014, 12:44 PM
RE: Gaming mods? - by BullockDS - 09-22-2014, 01:07 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)