Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to The Spriters Resource.

Taking a crack at game development
#17
You both raise a good point. The concept of doing the gameplay before the story is one Shigeru Miyamoto keeps closely to heart and what helped Capcom when they created the Oracle games. If I was working on a platforming game, this is what I would focus a lot of my energy into.

However, since this is a click and point adventure game, I feel like the rules are different this time around. You see, if you ever look at a few standard click and point adventure games, the overall gameplay is practically the same. The graphics and characters may be different and each one has its own story, but that's just it. A few other adventure games have a few exceptions (such as having more than one playable character in Day of the Tentacle), but that's more or less besides the point. There's not a whole lot I can do to change the core gameplay (unless I want to attempt to make it more like a platforming game), so I attempt to explain how the gameplay works, it would be irrelevant when anyone could just type "general gameplay of a click and point adventure games" on Google and get more readily available results. As a result, the story development gets a lot of attention. This is only what I speculated for a situation like this and I'm sorry if I sounded whiny.


Speaking of the story, though, I just had a talk with ShadeDBZ last night. He thought the story I had was fine, but the idea of mentioning those two users in the story like that left a bad taste in his mouth. Thankfully, I just so happen to have another story idea stashed around somewhere that doesn't involve anyone on this web site. I was originally going to do this with the buddy I am doing the RPG with, but why not develop it here?

[spoiler='Goblin Misadventure Quest']
Inspired by the Monkey Island series, this game is a parody of the King’s Quest series. Play a good, old click-and-point adventure game with a few possible twists thrown in for good measure! With its gorgeous backgrounds, fluidly animated characters, good voice work, an entertaining story, and humor that would knock your socks off, Goblin Misadventure Quest has something for everyone!

What starts off as your typical knight-saves-princess-from-dragon plot (or so it seems) turns into a situation where the very dragon gets fired… By his own boss! After experiencing the last straw by watching his employee let Princess Nana rescue herself (the prince was a bit late and the toilet was clogged), CEO dragon Rex Agmungus gives poor Frailfire the pink slip! If that’s not enough, that Foghorn Leghorn wannabe Rex decides to kidnap that one knight in shining armor, Guard Captain Charles “Charming” Ming! Without a hero, Princess Nana takes matters into her own hands! Of course, she’s not alone. Accompanied by a sleazy goblin of a con-artist, Gobnok, the duo will travel across the whole kingdom to save Charming, overthrow Rex, and get Frailfire his old job back! Will they succeed, or will they die trying? …….. Well, maybe not actually die… The worst that could happen is if the player rage quits because he can’t solve a certain puzzle or two
[/spoiler]

Do you like it? I mentioned the idea to Shade and it appealed to him better.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-19-2014, 07:58 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-20-2014, 11:28 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-23-2014, 06:24 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-24-2014, 05:18 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-27-2014, 05:38 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-28-2014, 06:58 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-29-2014, 11:43 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)