03-03-2013, 11:37 AM
For the sake of manners I'm gonna put this behind a spoiler, since I'd rather people listened without any preconceptions.
Fair warning: I can come across a bit harsh with this stuff, especially since I'm putting it all together in a block like this.
[spoiler]
It sounds like you've got some technical audio problems, the clicks and pops over the music are easy to recognise as underruns, and given it's going through an emulator and not a dedicated encoder I'd assume either there's a configuration problem or your CPU can't keep up in realtime.
You absolutely need to fix that, lo-fi and intentionally distorted or damaged audio is fine, but it should be done on purpose.
It also sounds like you're not too solid on music theory, the music doesn't seem to really go anywhere and it's pretty undefined, what I mean is that there's no real progression or bridges and no big hook or variation in the melody, which ultimately makes it very repetitive.
Having a simple bridge in the middle, a breakdown or even just a few bars in a different key would add a little depth and movement to it.
[/spoiler]
All that said, it's reasonably competent enough, I'd be interested in hearing where you go from here given a larger timescale and more experimenting.
Keep it up, you've got a good foundation to build on here.
(If you're interested I've got some friends who run a little station, once you hit the mark I'm sure I can strongarm them into getting you some airtime in the rotation, I'd love to get some more lo-fi on the air)
Fair warning: I can come across a bit harsh with this stuff, especially since I'm putting it all together in a block like this.
[spoiler]
It sounds like you've got some technical audio problems, the clicks and pops over the music are easy to recognise as underruns, and given it's going through an emulator and not a dedicated encoder I'd assume either there's a configuration problem or your CPU can't keep up in realtime.
You absolutely need to fix that, lo-fi and intentionally distorted or damaged audio is fine, but it should be done on purpose.
It also sounds like you're not too solid on music theory, the music doesn't seem to really go anywhere and it's pretty undefined, what I mean is that there's no real progression or bridges and no big hook or variation in the melody, which ultimately makes it very repetitive.
Having a simple bridge in the middle, a breakdown or even just a few bars in a different key would add a little depth and movement to it.
[/spoiler]
All that said, it's reasonably competent enough, I'd be interested in hearing where you go from here given a larger timescale and more experimenting.
Keep it up, you've got a good foundation to build on here.
(If you're interested I've got some friends who run a little station, once you hit the mark I'm sure I can strongarm them into getting you some airtime in the rotation, I'd love to get some more lo-fi on the air)

