Posts: 1,678
Threads: 58
Joined: Mar 2012
Alright. So I attempted to do what you did Neweegee, although not the same, I tried to impliment the general idea of shading. I assume you wanted me to add more contrast on the hair by the sprite fix you gave me. I tried to do that while trying to keep a soft difference between colors.
Some grass tilesets.
And gems:
I tried to make these shine. What do you think?
Posts: 969
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2010
How is it that you post enlarged, blurry versions of sprites, but when I copy them into Aseprite, it comes out normal size and unblurred? Is there something I'm missing?
The shading on that guy's left leg seems to get thinner when he relaxes his stance, and the one leg cuff changes shape.
Posts: 1,678
Threads: 58
Joined: Mar 2012
Yeah The VGR turns some images into jpgs.
I'll get to fixing the issues.
Posts: 969
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2010
No, that's the thing; they aren't acting like JPGs. When I right click and say "copy image", then paste into Aseprite, they return to normal size and look perfectly clear.
Posts: 353
Threads: 15
Joined: Dec 2012
I'm guessing he's using in-browser scaling?
Posts: 1,678
Threads: 58
Joined: Mar 2012
I was using the [img=???x???] feature that just resizes the image, couple that with the fact the site changed it to jpg, you get horrible quality until you actually download and open it...
Not much fixed here but I canged the sel-out a bit on the right most sprite and edited the center sprite's abdomen to look more slender. I'll get to fixing the mettalic leg shape.
Posts: 353
Threads: 15
Joined: Dec 2012
(04-05-2015, 06:08 AM)BlueBlur97 Wrote: I was using the [img=???x???] feature that just resizes the image, couple that with the fact the site changed it to jpg, you get horrible quality until you actually download and open it...
It's not that it turns the image into a jpg, because it's the same image. It just uses a filter for scaling that isn't optimised for pixel art.
Posts: 1,678
Threads: 58
Joined: Mar 2012
Wow I never knew that. Thanks for the info, I'll just upload double scaled sprites if necessary then.
Posts: 1,678
Threads: 58
Joined: Mar 2012
01-25-2017, 11:39 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2017, 11:40 AM by ~Axis~.)
Alright I'm trying to get myself back into pixel art so i decided I'll start from the basics. I tried limiting myself to a 32x32 sized sprite and 4 colors. Help me out with this one. My goal is to be able to make the most of these limitations.
From what I feel like, I think that I need to know how to define the shapes i want to make with the shading. There are other issues with it I'm sure.
Posts: 750
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2015
The shading looks a bit awkward, but it's a decent start.
As for images being filtered when scaled, I use an image editor (like GIMP) and scale the image with an interpolation of none. This causes the image to be scaled without being filtered. Other image editors may have the same feature.
This has also sometimes worked for me in MS Paint, but if you use the select tool and scale a selection by 200%. I find that it can sometimes scale it unfiltered. I have no idea what causes it to be filtered or not.
Posts: 1,678
Threads: 58
Joined: Mar 2012
(01-25-2017, 12:42 PM)Filler Wrote: The shading looks a bit awkward, but it's a decent start.
As for images being filtered when scaled, I use an image editor (like GIMP) and scale the image with an interpolation of none. This causes the image to be scaled without being filtered. Other image editors may have the same feature.
This has also sometimes worked for me in MS Paint, but if you use the select tool and scale a selection by 200%. I find that it can sometimes scale it unfiltered. I have no idea what causes it to be filtered or not.
About the scaling, i was using the forum image scaling code to increase the size which is why it looks blurry. Next time i'll just make two sizes of sprites. For whatever reason the forum rescale makes the image blurry but when you copy paste it its fine.
Posts: 122
Threads: 4
Joined: Dec 2016
Try only using one change in shade instead of the two. I think using two makes it blend together a little too much with a sprite that small. Also try adding some subtle hue shifts to make it more interesting. Blank grey colors can look dull. Even though it's white, touches of faint color can liven it up.
His right arm is also a tad small.
Posts: 1,678
Threads: 58
Joined: Mar 2012
I tried taking your advice and made its right arm longer along with using a different hue for the shading.
Posts: 630
Threads: 15
Joined: May 2015
Very cute squirrel, and his name is also cute.
Posts: 1,678
Threads: 58
Joined: Mar 2012
01-26-2017, 09:04 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2017, 09:05 PM by ~Axis~.)
I just tried to draw a face. Its very simple but that's what I was aiming for. I felt creative with the hair i guess? Idk i originally meant for it to be a ghost...