Posts: 3,612
Threads: 81
Joined: Jan 2009
08-14-2012, 12:00 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2012, 12:01 PM by Chris2Balls [:B].)
Hello everybody!
This week's theme is "custom sprite".
I'll be asking you to pick a relatively well-known videogame character, and create a rip-off of it.
You have to use 16 colours, and you're restricted to a 96x96 canvas. Transparency allowed but counts as a colour.
Examples of rip-offs, not exclusive to videogames:
-
Chinese Gundam v1,
v2,
v3
-
The Giana Sisters, ripping off
Super Mario Bros.
-
Guile, ripping off
Rudolph Von Stroheim
The list goes on.
The deadline is next Tuesday (the 21st). Good luck!
Posts: 1,430
Threads: 116
Joined: May 2008
i cant wait to try this out!
Posts: 432
Threads: 17
Joined: Jul 2012
hmm this will be difficult as I haven't used 16 colors in a picture before. Or have I???
Think I'm goin to stick with a nintendo character for this one.
Maybe somthing like Squeakachu, Lenk and Shanondorf, KonkeyDong, or Barrio bros.
Do we even have to name it?
Posts: 3,612
Threads: 81
Joined: Jan 2009
08-14-2012, 01:27 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2012, 01:28 PM by Chris2Balls [:B].)
Giving names is optional, but I'd love to see some of the things you'd come up with!
For those who wish for another example of a rip-off, there's Sonic's rip-off
Sanek, featured in Gors's Super Arisa World.
Posts: 1,664
Threads: 50
Joined: Nov 2011
![[Image: 5l0Xl.png]](http://i.imgur.com/5l0Xl.png)
Guess what I'm referencing
GUESS
Posts: 3,787
Threads: 75
Joined: May 2008
Super Saiyan Sonic, obviously
Posts: 1,664
Threads: 50
Joined: Nov 2011
08-14-2012, 02:18 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM by Virt.)
![[Image: LQKYJ.png]](http://i.imgur.com/LQKYJ.png)
Some crits were given in the Skype chat, so here are my fixes. Not sure what Previous meant about the nose...
EDIT:
![[Image: nYmnK.png]](http://i.imgur.com/nYmnK.png)
Previous made an edit and I tweaked it around a bit, p. sure this is the final version!
Posts: 1,430
Threads: 116
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 432
Threads: 17
Joined: Jul 2012
Chaiman Mao-rio!!!... Yeah!.......(crickets)...
Posts: 3,612
Threads: 81
Joined: Jan 2009
Mao needs more green.
But definitely more red.
Posts: 451
Threads: 20
Joined: Jun 2009
So my boyfriend and his brother and I came up with this idea for a ripoff of Blue/Gary from Pokemon that's also kinda based off of Porky from Earthbound
His name is Girthy
I NOW HAVE A REASON TO DESIGN HIM
THANK YOU CHRIS2BALLS
Posts: 282
Threads: 11
Joined: Apr 2010
Quote:[04:07] <~Dazz> x0_000, that's a very tasteless BUN
Posts: 3,612
Threads: 81
Joined: Jan 2009
08-15-2012, 05:23 AM
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2012, 05:27 AM by Chris2Balls [:B].)
Posts: 26
Threads: 2
Joined: Aug 2012
Giana Sisters is one of my fave rip-offs :]
I know tons of characters who look like they were switched at birth (Godot from Phoenix Wright >>> Wild Tiger from Tiger & Bunny, or Phoenix Wright from... Phoenix Wright >>> Roger Smith from Big O)
Here's one from a game (Cloud Strife from FF7 >>> MC from Dungeons of Windaria)
Is it better to go for a similar style of clothes/hair and changes small details/add details and swap colours, or use a character and give them one distinct difference?
Posts: 3,612
Threads: 81
Joined: Jan 2009
Do whatever you would like best, I'm not the one who's got the final say in the voting.
It depends on what you're doing, too. Don't feel restricted!