Posts: 25
Threads: 1
Joined: Sep 2010
"waves sword around", please don't hurt me, Link said.
The actual movement of the sword swing makes no sense. Firstly, if he 's swinging a sword or knife with one arm, you'll get more of a natural look if he started the swing from the opposite arm. And secondly right now the sword hoes straight down and then to the side. Looks a bit weird.
Posts: 1,502
Threads: 7
Joined: Oct 2008
Part of the problem I see with the sword swing is that the anticipation is pretty weak.
Wikipedia actually explains this pretty well. Think of it like this- before you jump, you bend your knees so you'll actually be able to propel yourself upwards. That's what anticipation is in animation - the movement to 'set up' for your primary movement. Link doesn't look like he's swinging his sword upward so much as he's just... sticking his sword out for a beat before he swings down.
Posts: 2,365
Threads: 58
Joined: May 2008
just a reeelly rough sketch, but is this a better idea for for his attack? (in red box)
Posts: 2,365
Threads: 58
Joined: May 2008
threw together an animation so you can get a better idea
????????????
Posts: 9,905
Threads: 264
Joined: Jun 2008
now that doesn't look like an attack but more like a 'hell yeah *raises sword*' kind of action.
I suggest looking for reference animations.
Posts: 16
Threads: 1
Joined: Feb 2011
I think it does look more like an attack if he does not raise his sword that high and more in the direction of the imaginary enemy.
Or maybe it is just the problem that he looks so cute.
Posts: 6,683
Threads: 49
Joined: Apr 2009
just eliminate the second frame.
Posts: 2,365
Threads: 58
Joined: May 2008
![[Image: V11rC.gif]](http://i.imgur.com/V11rC.gif)
wanananana
Posts: 81
Threads: 3
Joined: May 2009
Better! Though I would like to add that the sword he's swinging isn't all that large. So don't add to much force to it.
Posts: 2,365
Threads: 58
Joined: May 2008
I found a use for the old sword animation
![[Image: A9II6.png]](http://i.imgur.com/A9II6.png)
it is now a magic rod animation
Posts: 2,365
Threads: 58
Joined: May 2008
new animations!
to do list:
stand[v]
walk [v]
jump [v]
crouch[v]
crawl[]
hurt[]
defeated[]
got item! []
sword attack[v]
sword beam []
aerial sword attack(?)[]
upward sword attack(?)[]
magic rod attack[v]
every other item from the original LoZ []
health HUD[]
anything else I should add to this list?
Posts: 200
Threads: 10
Joined: Apr 2009
This is looking really good, I like the simplistic style of it all. =]
And also, spin attack! and shields galore!
Posts: 2,365
Threads: 58
Joined: May 2008
I need someone to tear this animation apart with biting criticism, please and thank you
Posts: 185
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2010
The last sprite in the animation looks like the sword's randomly changed into a spear..
Posts: 3,787
Threads: 75
Joined: May 2008
I thinkl he shouldn't be leaning forward that much in the first frame. It doesn't seem to fit the upward slash thingy.