Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to The Spriters Resource.

Poll: Turn Based or Real Time
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Turn Based, More Thinking involved.
57.89%
11 57.89%
Real Time, More Action.
42.11%
8 42.11%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Turn Based or Real Time?
#1
A question that has plagued me for ten minutes.


Which type of RPG game play do you prefer:Turn Based (I.E. Final Fantasy) or Real Time (I.E. Tales Of)


I may self prefer Real-Time, because I like action in my battles, despite the fact that people often say there is no strategy to Real-Time, I disagree. I admit, there is less strategy in Real Time than Turn Based, but you do have to think a little in Real Time games.


Plus, I'm slow, and I get killed to many times in Turn Based Games.

Discuss.
#2
Real time.
There are a few exceptions where I like turn based, like chrono trigger.
#3
I think a mix of the 2 works best, like in Eternal Sonata, but overall I'd have to say turn based.
#4
Damn, and here I cam into this topic thinking it was about strategy games.

I suppose turn based, allows for more thought, more finesse. Then again, real-time is a nice break of pace from time to time. I prefer TB RPGs but a good RT RPG is fun.

And RTS beats the heck out of TBS, just saying.
#5
I like both, but I prefer turn based.
#6
I prefer turn-based with real-time elements (Paper Mario, Elite Beat Agents, etc...).
#7
I prefer real time, turn-based may be better because you can plan a strategy and not worry about the opponent killing you while you make it, but real time is a lot faster and it doesn't seem as much like the enemy you're fighting is immortal.
#8
Turn based. Sometimes I need to take my time.
#9
Real Time. It's just much more fun.
#10
Hmm... I'm torn between the two. Is there another style? People need to start thinking of new ways for RPG battles.
#11
FF1-6's ATB was nice, because, although turn-based, it rewarded you for quick acting by allowing your character to attack before the enemy would have if you took longer to decide.
#12
Turn Based. There are a few occasions when real time works, but mostly it leaves itself to the mercy of bad battle mechanics and design.
#13
ATB from Final Fantasy VIII owns both of them. it's like a fusion of the two styles
#14
Well, I like both a lot, but it really depends what I'm in the 'Mood' for...like right now, I'm replaying Red Alert 2, it's expansion(Yuri's Revenge) and Wind Waker(not so much strategy, just Real-Time), and I'm thinking about busting out the old PS2 and playing some KH2

but midway through this semester, I'll probably be back to the old Final Fantasies, and Pokemon...Although, I kind of hope not, since Red Alert 3's coming out =P
#15
I like turn based with hints of real time like Mario and Luigi.
As for strategy games I can't stand RTS but love TBS.


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)