Posts: 66
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2008
Ok, I don't really know if this belongs in this section, but I figured it as the best section to put it in.
Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any good spriting programs that I could get. I use paint, but I was looking for something better. Oh yeah, I was also looking for something that makes it easier to find and pick out colors.
Posts: 1,480
Threads: 92
Joined: May 2008
Um yeah paint is the best thing to use.
Posts: 750
Threads: 26
Joined: May 2008
Graphics Gale.
All the functions of paint plus support for more file type, a larger color selection, layers and scads of useful features such as color-counting, selection inversion and much more.
Posts: 66
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2008
Yeah, I looked at that and found it very confusing. I'll try to figure it out, or else just stick to paint. Thanks.
Posts: 80
Threads: 4
Joined: Jul 2008
Photoshop is what I use. It has all the colors in the spectrum, and it can zoom in a bit farther than Paint. It takes a while to get used to, but once I switched from Paint, I never, ever went back. It wont fail you.
Posts: 750
Threads: 26
Joined: May 2008
Photoshop is expensive, graphicsgale is free.
Besies, graphicsgale will run on a computer from ten years ago, photoshop takes top of the line machines. For pixel work, photoshop is absolutely the worst option for up-and-comers.
Posts: 66
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2008
Yeah, I'm looking for something free. And my computer is ancient, probably older than me. Photoshop will slow it down terribly. thanks though.
Posts: 37
Threads: 0
Joined: Aug 2008
08-05-2008, 09:59 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2008, 10:03 PM by Elyk.)
Paint.net
edit: I didn't see the part about your PC being old.
these are the requirements anyways
* Windows XP (SP2 or later),
or Windows Vista,
or Windows Server (2003 SP1 or later)
* .NET Framework 2.0
* 500 MHz processor (Recommended: 800 MHz or faster)
* 256 MB of RAM (Recommended: 512 MB or more)
* 1024 x 768 screen resolution
* 200+ MB hard drive space
* 64-bit support requires a 64-bit CPU that is running a 64-bit version of Windows, and an additional 128 MB of RAM
Posts: 86
Threads: 4
Joined: May 2008
the Game Maker paint program is nice, there's some decent effect choices (smash, colorize, etc) and there's some animations you can do too
Posts: 750
Threads: 26
Joined: May 2008
I use paint.net more for my sketches and cartoons than pixel art. It IS tablet-friendly, so-so-so cool my friend. It's the only program I've ever felt like was an open blank sheet of white paper while I was drawing. It pays attention to your pressure, your speed, all sorts of fun stuff in that.
I guess paint.net and GGale are your best options so far. Both are free, but paint.net is a little rougher on system requirements.
Posts: 90
Threads: 11
Joined: Jun 2008
Paint.NET is good, but I just couldn't get into it. I like graphics gale, it's really good, but I don't use it anymore.
Paint is my favourite, simple and great.
Posts: 66
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2008
Yeah, paint is ok, but I don't like the color selection thing. I guess they are all like that though. I'll check out paint.net in a little while, I'm messing around with gg right now. Oh and I do have game maker, but I dont really use the art part of it much.
Posts: 2,365
Threads: 58
Joined: May 2008
Never tried GG, but Paint.net was confusing the one time I tried it, it's probably more suitable for other mediums or something idk. I just use paint.
Posts: 90
Threads: 11
Joined: Jun 2008
Game Makers sprite editor is pretty good, imo. But I wish it was a seperate application, then I'd still use GM =]
Posts: 282
Threads: 1
Joined: May 2008
Though not free, Paint Shop Pro is definitely an affordable and great option if you don't want to invest in Photoshop.
I use Jasc v5 of PSP for all of my spriting and it works great on this computer (which is 6/7 years old). Of course, you can only buy the current version now, so you'll have to deal with Corel's Photo 12 PSP version.
|